“The last thing that you remember is standing before the wizard Lakmir as he gestured wildly and chanted in an archaic tongue. Now you find yourself staring at an entryway which lies at the edge of a forest.”
So begins the legend of Shadowgate – one of the most well-known and well-loved point-and-click adventure titles in gaming history. As one of the original titles in the popular MacVenture series which went on to be celebrated on the NES, GBC and Nintendo 64, Shadowgate quickly endeared players with its fantastic atmospheric soundtrack, perilous locations to progress through, countless puzzles to solve, and more ways to gruesomely die than gamers previously thought possible. Thrust into the role of “The Seed of Prophecy,” players travel deep into the living castle, in hopes of defeating the evil that dwells within – the dread Warlock Lord.
Now, nearly 30 years after the original version haunted Mac and NES gamers, the original development team behind that timeless classic is back with a full re-imagining of the original Shadowgate. Much more than a port, the team at Zojoi has painstakingly redesigned the game from the ground up, adding in tons of new mind-bending puzzles, lots of new rooms with stunning hand-painted 2D graphical detail, and more objects to interact with and help you along your quest.
Decide how YOU want to play this new, re-imagined Shadowgate! Want the quintessential experience? Employ the omnipresent Classic command system or turn on the retro soundtrack, text box and room transitions. Want a more cinematic experience? Switch to Immersive mode by auto-hiding the UI and using customizable hotkeys to explore the castle. Or mix and match the options to satisfy your play style. In Shadowgate, there are plenty of new features and fun throwbacks to the original version, to satisfy veteran adventurers and newcomers alike!
- First Person Adventuring: Utilize your inventory, mapping system and intuitive UI to complete your quest.
- Rooms: Tons of Beautifully illustrated rooms featuring both new and familiar locations, offering a new play experience.
- Puzzles: Lots of new and updated puzzles that seamlessly expand on the original game.
- Customized UI: Play the way you want! Use modern wheel-based icon commands, classic on-screen commands or jump into Immersive mode and auto-hide the UI elements. Create key binds, lock commands and keys and more.
- Difficulty Levels: Four different difficulty levels (from novice to expert) that actually change the game play experience and puzzle structure. For the ultimate challenge, try Ironman mode that disables saves and requires players to finish the game in one try.
- Retro Mode: Play the game like it’s 1989! Toggle on pixelated graphics, listen to Hiroyuki Masuno’s original NES chip tunes, move between rooms with pixelated transitions and follow the text in retro format.
- Storytelling: Features dramatic cut-scenes and all the same great storytelling you expect from the original creators.
- Cinematic Score: A digitally-orchestrated, dynamic soundtrack that changes with game play by composer Rich Douglas.
- Soundscapes: A complete atmospheric and puzzle-based sound design featuring hundreds of sound effects.
- Achievements: 60 in-game and Steam-based achievements to find and unlock.
- Animations: Environmental and object-specific animations and particles bring each location to life.
- Help: Need a hint? An in-game help system is just a click away.